Need Help applying for your USDOT Number?

What is it and do I need it?

A USDOT number is the unique identifier for a carrier or driver and is used by the FMCSA to monitor your safety compliance. 

 Companies that operate commercial motor vehicles that transport cargo or passengers across state lines (interstate commerce) must have a unique number issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). This DOT registration number and the carrier’s legal company name must be displayed on both sides of the vehicle.

 Apart from the federal regulations, 33 states require their intrastate commercial motor vehicle registrants to obtain a USDOT number. Intrastate transporters of certain types of hazardous materials in quantities requiring a safety permit also need a DOT number.


Motor Carrier (MC) Number

If you are an interstate, for-hire motor carrier of non-exempt property and passengers, you’re also required to have a motor carrier (MC) number.  

Typically, a motor carrier number is needed when:

A carrier transports passengers in interstate commerce (for either direct or indirect compensation)

A carrier transports federally regulated commodities that are either owned by others or arranging for their transport in interstate commerce (for a fee or other compensation)

The FMCSA operating authority can be identified as an “MC”, “FF” or “MX” number based on what authority is granted. It’s possible that your business may need multiple operating authorities. Contact us and we’ll help you determine what’s needed.